One of my media studies professors once observed that I’m drawn to TV series that feature “ordinary people in extraordinary situations.”
That being said, my top series are Lost, Survivor, and Arrested Development (although I’ve actively avoided its fourth season).
Other favorite TV series, somewhat arbitrarily categorized, include, but are not limited to:
- CW series: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin, The Flash
- FX standouts: The Americans, Fargo, Louie, American Crime Story, Atlanta
- AMC dramas: Breaking Bad, Mad Men
- NBC comedies: Parks and Recreation, Community, The Office, 30 Rock
- Reality competitions: Top Chef, The Amazing Race, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol, The Sing-Off, Big Brother
- Bryan Fuller series: Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls
- Foreign imports: Please Like Me, Downton Abbey, Skins (UK series 1 & 2), Flight of the Conchords, Summer Heights High
- And also… Billy on the Street, Fresh Off the Boat, BoJack Horseman, Orange is the New Black, Girls, Silicon Valley, Transparent, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Looking, Veronica Mars, Ugly Betty, Freaks and Geeks, Enlisted, Happy Endings, Aliens in America, Better Off Ted, Avatar: the Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra…
- Love-hate relationship with: Desperate Housewives, Modern Family, True Blood, Weeds, The Walking Dead, Downton Abbey, American Horror Story
I also watched all eight seasons of Entourage. Yeah, I can’t believe it either.